Moving to the United States in high school, becoming a first-generation “knowledge” worker, and overcoming barriers as an immigrant in a system not built for you with Iky Chan
In this episode, we talk to Iky Chan, the Chief Presentation Office and Founder of IKY Studios. Iky is also a minimalistic cartoonist, corporate comedic speaker, and mindset coach. Iky’s mission is to help people shine.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The story of moving to the United States as a high school student
- How Iky got paid to complete a dual-master degree in engineering
- Seeing your experience as valuable, even if your first job might not align with your career goals
- Barriers to immigrant professionals and why your path might be less straight than others
- How a health scare can catapult you into the change you need
- Advancing your career by getting outside your comfort zone
- Strategies to help you find your voice and have confidence in your story
- Why continuous learning is important in life and in your career
- Ways to define your own success to create a life you love
Connect with Iky:
Connect with Lola:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/428192995622965
Apply to be on the podcast: shorturl.at/dnyEO
More about Thriving in Intersectionality Podcast:
Welcome to the “Thriving in Intersectionality” podcast. A podcast created to help you learn from professionals in the workplace who have multiple intersectional identities; from ethnic minorities, veterans transitioning into the workforce, individuals with disabilities, parents, and so many more.
Hosted by Lola Adeyemo, who is the CEO of EQI Mindset and the founder of the nonprofit Immigrants in Corporate Inc, her mission is to work with organizations to build more inclusive workplaces.
This podcast was built to amplify the voices of leaders and immigrants in the corporate workplace and to give insights and guidance so people can move past their “barriers” and advance in their professional careers.
Through interviews and solo episodes, Lola will examine this global world of work. We hope that you can learn a thing or two from our guests, who have a range of experiences and stories to share. Join Lola as we meet new people who are successfully navigating the corporate space.