Getting started with employee resource groups, tools to navigate your corporate career, and advice for leadership building DEI’s with Richard Nelson
In this episode, we talk to Richard Nelson, V, a Mechanical Engineering with minors in Business Finance and Computer Science. Richard currently works at Motorola Solutions and has worked on redesigning and testing critical devices that play a crucial role in emergency environments and recently started a new role as Manager of DEI External Engagement.
In addition to his professional life, Richard loves playing basketball, making music, and working on tech projects for his small business (Inner Loot Innovations) and with underrepresented students.
In this episode, we cover:
- How Richard chose what to study in college and how he combined different degrees that spoke to his interests
- His experience starting in corporate America and what the journey looked like to get his first job
- Why partnering with organizations during college can help you get ahead in your career
- All about employee resources groups and how to get started with these groups at your company
- The types of growth Richard has seen in himself and his peers from participating in ERG’s
Connect with Richard:
Connect with Lola:
More about Thriving in Intersectionality Podcast:
Welcome to the “Thriving in Intersectionality” podcast. A podcast created to help you learn from professionals in the workplace who have multiple intersectional identities; from ethnic minorities, veterans transitioning into the workforce, individuals with disabilities, parents, and so many more.
Hosted by Lola Adeyemo, who is the CEO of EQI Mindset and the founder of the nonprofit Immigrants in Corporate Inc, her mission is to work with organizations to build more inclusive workplaces.
This podcast was built to amplify the voices of leaders and immigrants in the corporate workplace and to give insights and guidance so people can move past their “barriers” and advance in their professional careers.
Through interviews and solo episodes, Lola will examine this global world of work. We hope that you can learn a thing or two from our guests, who have a range of experiences and stories to share. Join Lola as we meet new people who are successfully navigating the corporate space.